Monday, September 22, 2008

Toby is Being Crushed Under the Weight of His Own Success

I have, at the moment, a number of jobs. The number is four (4).

1) I run my website. This job is fun (mostly), and doesn't take up too much time. It is also unpaid.

2) I also work at the Green Lantern, doing some editing (and other things, as they need doing). This job is fun, and comes complete with a cool bunch of people, who are all very fun to know. It is unpaid.

3) I teach. I guess. I guess I teach. I'm not sure what I do exactly, but I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified to do it. It's more ESL than Composition, and it's not a role I ever planned for myself. It is, however, paid, and looks my-t-fine on the ole' resume (pronounced "reh-zoom").

4) I do QA for the internets learnin' folks. This job is also fairly fun, though I've only done it for 2 days now. It is also paid at a reasonable rate, and comes with a nice group of people.

And now, I have an interview coming up for an Editor position at a magazine for an animal rights agency. It's not a guarantee that I'll get it or anything, but should I even bother trying? Can I have five (5!) jobs? Even with all this work I'm not making a ton of money, so I wouldn't mind making a little more. But would I die? I might actually die. It might actually kill me to have so little free time. And I'm doing pretty much zero (0) writing as it is. Would there be even a slight chance of my doing any writing if I had another job?

On the other hand, the QA job, though it might turn into something permanent or long term, it technically a contractor position, and might last just a few months. And the teaching gig won't pay me over the winter or summer, and who knows if I'll get hired again for next term anyway. Plus, the hideous grad school loans need to be repaid starting in January. So maybe I should just be miserable for a while and make all kinds of monies while I can.

I mean, it's good, right, to have two paying jobs during a recession, with the possibility of a third? Right? Right?

I'm dyin' here.

Can't it be summer again?

No comments: