Sunday, September 07, 2008

Worst Day of Sports and Athletics Ever

1: Nadal lost to Andy Murray. I have nothing against Murray. Let me just say that. But I love Nadal. He is good, he is great, he signs lots of autographs while other players stalk away cranky. I have seen it with my own eyes. I wanted him to win today. Really, really wanted him to win. But he lost.

2. The Mets lost their first game against the Phillies. This is terrible because the Mets and Phillies are close, close, close in the pennant race. And after this loss, the Mets are only 1 game ahead. They are currently winning the second game of today’s double header, and they’d better win it. Getting swept by the Phillies is just…just…bleck.

3. I got a flat. Guess where I got the flat? On Damen. Where else? I hate Damen. The other day, going home after The Parlor, I hit a bump on Damen so big my bike lock flew out of its holder and bounced down the street. The lock was ok, but the clasp on the holder will never be the same. Now I have to use a bungee cord. So of course it was Damen that got me again. Here’s what happened:

Mile 1.19: Tire (to be specific, it’s the back tire—lucky me) goes flat at Damen & Fullerton, just before the bridge, with a mere 3 of the 4.15 miles to go. There had been a bus just in front of me, and I couldn’t catch it. Bugger. Walked the bike over the bridge, and up to Diversey/Elston. Considered jogging with the bike to speed up the trip but then saw

Mile 1.71: a gas station. Got some change to use the air pump, and pumped that sucker up firm. Pedaled like a mother fucker, trying to get as far as I could before it was flat again. I squeezed the tire at each stop sign and red light, and it was starting to get a little soggy, but I made it to

Mile 3.2: Irving Park/Lincoln/Damen, which was the goal. Because just a block and a half up from that intersection is

Mile 3.39: the Easy Rider Bike Shop, who have an air hose that comes out of the base of their storefront, with free air. Pumped that sucker up again, and made it to

Mile 4.15: home. Don’t know when I’ll have time to fix it. Damn you Damen!


On the plus side, Delgado just hit his second home run, giving the Mets a 5-2 lead.

No comments: